Welcoming a new baby to our family has been such a blessing and like with our first, I'm learning as I go. It's been a much easier transition for me going from 1 to 2. He kind of just fits into my routine with Olivia and thankfully he's been a much easier baby than Olivia was but it can be really frustrating those days you feel like you're spinning your wheels and can't get anything done! I wanted to share a few things that have been helpful while adjusting to two kiddos and running my jewelry business. Hopefully they will inspire you!
1. Get Dressed for the Day - I went from a corporate job where I had to be up, dressed and at work by a certain time each day. After I had Olivia that all changed and I had to figure out how to fill our days. I could stay in my pajamas all day if I wanted to but I'm just not the type of person who can be productive in my pjs. Some days I go to the gym in the morning and the other days I don't I get up, put on make up and get dressed for the day early in the morning. That way I can be ready for wherever that day takes us. Someone may have a last minute birthday gift they need to pick up at the studio or I may get an invite to go out to lunch later in the day so I always like to be ready for whatever the day may throw at me.
2. Listen to Podcasts - Olivia is accustomed to being rocked to sleep and won't have it any other way. It's inevitable that as soon as I get one down for a nap, the other one wakes and vice versa - definitely the most stressful part of my day because I sooo long for a little time to be hands free. I know I shouldn't have to do this but it keeps me sane and gives mama a little break! That being said, I have been getting all of us in the car around her usual nap time (12:30/1pm) and taking a little drive while listening to a podcast. This puts Olivia to sleep and I'm able to transfer her to her toddler bed when we get home. I am hands free and feel productive while I'm driving. My favorite is the Goal Digger Podcast by Jenna Kutcher! She has hundreds of episodes on topics to choose from - literally something for everyone, not just business owners! My faves are marketing related like tips on growing your email list, embracing Instagrams ever changing algorithm, how to structure your work day, etc. I'm able to get Olivia to nap which gives me a little break from her at home and I still felt productive learning new marketing tips from the podcast at the same time. Find yourself a podcast you love and you'll have something to look forward to while you're driving or you can even do this on a stroller walk!
3. Accept Help - I've been dropping my three year old off at Grandma's in the morning and head over to the studio for an hour or two with Landon to try to design + make jewelry and fulfill online orders. This is where I have learned to go with the flow. Going with the flow isn't something that comes naturally to me. Since having kids, I've learned I need structure to my day or I go crazy. Sometimes he sleeps the whole time and I get loads of work done and others I am nursing him on the couch and have to hold him the whole time which means I don't get any work done because my hands are literally full. If you have help, take a willing family member or trusted friend up on watching your kiddo.
4. Make a To-Do List - This is a no brainer, right? Instead of dreaming of all the things you could do when you have a few free minutes, write it down! My thoughts are in my head one minute and gone the next and half the time when I do finally get a break I am all over the place contemplating what I should do first! I HAVE to write things down otherwise I forget whatever ideas I had.
5. Schedule Your Social Media Posts - Gone are the days of when I would post something on Instagram or Facebook in real time. I just don't have the time for it and I prefer to post at the same time each day. After attending the Create Cultivate Conference, many of the bloggers on stage talked about using the social media planning app called Planoly! It's free and I've been using it ever since! You can upload a bunch of photos to see how they look on your feed and add your captions as they pop into your head.
Sometimes I have to force myself to step back and remind myself that it's OK to not do everything. That laundry that needs to be washed will still be there tomorrow and we have plenty of clean clothes to wear. The important thing I keep reminding myself is my babies will be off to school one day and I won't be needed in the way they need me now. It all goes by too quickly as everyone says. You got this mama!